Easter Chocolate....

Posted on 16th February, 2017

Easter is approaching, and that can only mean one thing....... Chocolate!!

 

Theres nothing better than the smell of chocolate, right??? Dogs love it and will often seek it out, but once they have a taste for it they will often re offend. Cats aren't quite as desperate to eat it (but it does happen) Regardless of the species, animals that eat chocolate are at risk.

 

If you suspect your pet may have eaten chocolate, then the best thing is to have your pet seen and induce vomiting. (even if several hours have passed.)

 

A Dogs Trust survey revealed that over 57% of pet dogs have eaten chocolate intended for humans and over 1 in 10 have become ill from it. Sadly of these, 8% died due to the effects and nearly a quarter required urgent veterinary treatment.

 

  • Signs your pet may have an adverse reaction to chocolate include:
  • Diaorrhea / vomiting
  • Restlessness
  • Hyperactivity
  • Muscle twitching, tremors
  • Increased drinking and urination
  • Excessive panting
  • Irritability
  • Increased heart rate and abnormal heart rhythm
  • In extreme situations, seizures, collapse, and even death can occur.

 

Make sure you put the chocolate out of reach, i've seen them jump up on cupboards, unwrap it from boxes, open doors and even manage to retrieve it from places you thought were safe!!

 

If you think your pet has eaten chocolate, even if a small amount, it is worth calling your vet clinic to have them confirm the amount eaten and the type. If you have the packet to hand when you call that would help the vet work out whats been had. You may need to take a trip to your vet to induce vomiting. Depending on the length of time that has passed, or indeed the quality of the chocolate, your pet may need to stay in the hospital for a few days on intravenous fluids to help flush out the toxins. Usually all ends well, but be warned, chocolate can kill!! 

 

 

 

 

Image from Real Fix.com 

 

The Veterainary Poisons Information Service, offer advice on whether your pet may need  to be seen by a vet for treatment.

 

You can use this service by clicking here :  

  VPIS logo

Make A Comment

Characters left: 2000

Comments (0)